AffiliateWP – Custom Affiliate Slugs
This is taken a step further with Custom Affiliate Slugs, which allows affiliates the ability to build their very own unique “slug.” A slug is the portion of the referral URL that is located in the space that is typically occupied by the username or ID of the affiliate.
Using Custom Affiliate Slugs as an affiliate
Within the “Settings” tab of the Affiliate Area, affiliates have the ability to configure their own unique slug. They also have the option to completely remove their custom slug, as well as update it at any time.
Using Custom Affiliate Slugs as a site admin
Site administrators have the ability to enable custom slugs for all of their affiliates or just some of them. On the “Edit Affiliate” admin page, you have the option to alter or remove a custom slug that is associated with an affiliate. When adding a new affiliate, the setting of the custom slug is completely voluntary. A new column labelled “custom slug” will be included in the export of a list of your affiliates. This column will indicate the most recent custom slug assigned to each affiliate.
If your Default Referral Format is set to ID or Username, you can enable the Show Custom Slug option in the settings for Custom Affiliate Slug. When this option is enabled, the affiliate’s custom slug (if they have one) will be displayed on the Affiliate URLs tab of the Affiliate Area alongside the affiliate’s ID or username, allowing the affiliate to continue to use either their ID or username.
When you instal and activate Custom Affiliate Slugs, a new Custom Affiliate Slug option will also appear in the Default Referral Format select menu that can be found in the Affiliates Settings General tab of the admin panel. This gives you the ability to display an affiliate’s referral URL using their custom slug rather than the affiliate’s ID or username when showing it to them. Additionally, the affiliate will have the ability to construct a referral URL through the usage of the URL generator by appending their own custom slug (their ID or username will not be visible).
Here are some ways you and your affiliates can use this incredibly useful add-on:
- Set a custom slug that is the affiliate’s name, i.e. http://yoursite.com/?ref=JohnJacobSmith
- Set a custom slug that is their business name, i.e. http://yoursite.com/?ref=MyBusinessName
- Set a custom slug per monthly promotion, i.e. http://yoursite.com/?ref=JohnSmithMay2016
- Set a custom slug per sale, i.e. http://yoursite.com/ref/JJSmaysale2016
- Set a custom random slug, i.e. http://yoursite.com/ref/j0hnj4c0b5m1th
(Remember, you can change the referral variable from the default “ref” – here’s how.)
- Make it possible for each affiliate, after they have logged into the Affiliate Area, to generate their own unique slug.
- Make it possible for only select affiliates to generate their own unique slugs.
- Create unique slugs for newly registered affiliates using a system that is fully automated.
- You can limit the amount of characters that are used in automatically generated custom slugs.
- Produce automatically formed slugs that are alphabetic or numeric, depending on your preference.
- On the Affiliate Edit screen, you may make changes to an existing custom slug for an affiliate or completely delete it.
- When manually adding a new affiliate, you have the option of setting a custom slug.
- You can use this with pretty affiliate referral URLs or non-pretty affiliate referral URLs.
- There will be no duplicate slugs, which means that no two affiliates will share the same slug.
- Any time a custom slug is updated, it becomes available for other affiliates to take if they decide to modify their own. Custom slugs can be changed whenever they are needed.
- Confirmation is necessary whenever a slug is modified; the affiliate must enter the custom slug twice before confirming that they want to make the modification.
- Utilize the capability of the affiliate campaign that allows for personalised slugs.